For our 24th episode, I had the pleasure to sit down with Jill Miller. Jill is the creator of the self-care fitness formats Yoga Tune Up® and The Roll Model® Method. I first discovered Jill’s work about 5 years ago while looking for a way to heal a yoga injury. What I didn’t know at that moment was the profound impact this work was going to have to my life and my health.
I suffer from endometriosis, and with March being the Endometriosis Awareness Month, I wanted to do an episode about one of the strategies that helped me deal with my symptoms. As an autoimmune disease it’s strongly affected by stress. Yoga Tune Up and the Roll Model Method have really helped me get a better understanding of my stress and gave me tools to down-regulate my nervous system so in turn, pain decreased pretty drastically. So I thought it would be a great way to talk about chronic pain management.
Listen to the episode here:
Thank you so much for listening and being part of our 24th episode! We have other great guests lined up for you so make sure to subscribe to the podcast where ever you listen!
As always, I really appreciate your support. So as you leave a review on iTunes or on your iPhone podcast app, you automatically enter a giveaway. Once more Athleta is supporting this podcast in their effort to ignite a community of strong women who lift each other up, and is giving out a 75$ shop card! If you’re not sure how to leave a review, check this article. The winner of our last giveaway is iTunes user Nilly6. Thank you for your comment. DM me on instagram or email me email@example.com to get your shop card!
QUESTIONS SHE ANSWERED
- Can you tell us a bit about yourself and your yoga journey?
- Why did you create Yoga Tune Up and The Roll Model Method?
- What was the original need / intent?
- How does the self-massage work of the Roll Model Method affects the nervous system?
- What does down-regulation means?
- Why it’s important?
- How does a better awareness, help you regulate your stress or deal with symptoms of an illness in your opinion?
- Can we talk about the role of emotions in our body, how they relate to stress and illness, and how this work also taps into this piece of the puzzle?
- Can we look more precisely at the abdominal massage with the coregeous ball?
- How does that work?
- And why might it create an emotional response?
- We talked about the body itself and the healing side of touch, we talked about awareness and emotions, can we now look at mental state and touch on the importance of Sankalpa and Self-Acceptance?
- How does the regulation of the breath have such an important impact?
- What is conscious relaxation?
- I find that often time Savasana is not as valued as it should in class. What’s the importance of this pose?
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Jill Miller (C-IAYT, ERYT) is the co-founder of Tune Up Fitness Worldwide and creator of the self-care fitness formats Yoga Tune Up® and The Roll Model® Method. With more than 30 years of study in anatomy and movement, she is a pioneer in forging relevant links between the worlds of fitness, yoga, massage, athletics, and pain management. She has trained thousands of movement educators, clinicians, and manual therapists to incorporate her paradigm-shifting self-care fitness programming into athletic and medical facility programs internationally. She has crafted original programs for 24 Hour Fitness, Equinox, YogaWorks, and numerous professional sports teams. She and her team of 500+ trainers help you to live better in your body with an emphasis on proprioception, mobility, breath mechanics, and recovery.
She has presented case studies at the Fascia Research Congress and International Association of Yoga Therapy conferences. She has the rare ability to translate complex physiological and biomechanical information into accessible, relevant moves that help her students transform pain, dysfunction and injury into robust fitness. Jill is the anatomy columnist for Yoga Journal Magazine and has been featured in Shape, Men’s Journal, Good Housekeeping, Women’s Health, Yoga Journal, Self, and on the Today Show and Good Morning America. Jill is regularly featured on the Oprah Winfrey Network. She is the creator of dozens of DVD’s including Treat While You Train with Kelly Starrett DPT. She’s the author of the internationally bestselling book The Roll Model: A Step by Step Guide to Erase Pain, Improve Mobility and Live Better in your Body published in 4 languages. Based in Los Angeles, CA, she is a wife and mother of two small children and is currently writing her second book: Body by Breath.
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT HER AND UPCOMING EVENTS : www.tuneupfitness.com
Summer events covering topics we discussed:
West coast USA: July 7-14 https://1440.org/programs/yoga/breath-and-bliss-immersion/
East coast USA: Aug 2-4 https://www.anatomytrains.com/product/rolling-along-the-anatomy-trains-walpole-usa-2019-08-02/