Have you been interested in diving a little deeper into your yoga practice, but at the same have been intimidated by the philosophical texts? Today we are doing an introduction to the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali which are one of the foundational texts of yoga philosophy and practice. There are 100s of translations and commentaries or the original text and they were written over 2000 years ago, so no wonder it could be intimidating.
The sutras are made of 195 or 196 aphorisms (depending on the source). They are divided into 4 chapters or books called pada.
The first pada, which is where you’ll find the sutras we are exploring today describes yoga, its goal, and why we want to focus on that.
This episode is part of our premium subscription. To get access to it, visit https://withribbon.com/u/erikabelanger. Note that we have recently transitioned our premium content from Patreon to the platform With Ribbon.
With Ribbon is awesome and you’ll now find on this new platform
1.Your podcast premium membership where just like before, as a member, you can get a ton of exclusive audio and video content like today’s episode on the sutras 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3.
2. You can now have access to almost 200 recorded full-length yoga classes in a Netflix-Style Membership, with new ones added every week.
3. You can sign up for any live-stream class I offer or special event including my upcoming yoga retreat. Everything is now in the same place!
100TH EPISODE GIVEAWAY
We are at episode 97, so getting close to our 100th episode. For the occasion, we have an incredible bundle of gifts for you! From yoga props to clothes, to classes, and so much more. We have joined forces with brands we love to celebrate the occasion: Athleta, Liform, Ajna WellBeing, Yoga Tune Up, Spritzs Wellness London, and some guests from older episodes for some books, including Jason Nemer from our episode on Acro-Yoga. To participate in our giveaway you have to vote for your favorite episode and you can do so here.
About our sponsors:
- Athleta. They make yoga and fitness clothes, athleisure and so much more. Their mission is to ignite a community of active, healthy, confident women and girls who empower each other to reach their limitless potential. Instead of using fitness models, they have diverse women athletes of all ages, sizes, and backgrounds in their ad campaigns. They are a B Corp focused on fair trade practices, sustainable materials, and production. So Athleta has generously offered to give a $100 gift card for our giveaway.
- Ajna Wellbeing is a sister-run company committed to creating holistic lifestyle and wellness products that are eco-friendly, sustainable, and beautifully designed. Their mission is to create a holistic health movement based on a mindful and intuitive way of being, healing, and thriving. Which is where the name stands for. They are gifting you an Ajna Wellbeing’s Eco Yoga Bolster which is handstitched from recycled materials into this eco-suede-luxurious bolster. But that’s not all. They are also adding an Eco-Lite Acupressure Mat & Pillow Set. This therapeutic acupressure kit harnesses your body’s natural healing powers. It’s also made from eco-friendly, non-toxic, plant-based materials, making it just as good for the Earth as it is for you so you can create a simple and effective way to find a moment of calm in your hectic day.
- I personally am giving a free membership to my live online yoga classes and class library for 1 month (worth $100),
- Our guest Jason Nemer from episode 22 – Acro Yoga is giving a copy from it’s new book Move, Connect, Play
- Spritz Wellness London is giving you a beautiful eye pillow
- Check our next episodes to hear about the other sponsor!
That’s it for now! Go onto https://withribbon.com/u/erikabelanger to get your premium episode on the sutras 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3, visit us on IG @onandoffyourmatpodcast, and go enter our giveaway right now and vote for your favorite episode.
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment