For this episode, I sat down with Bethany C. Meyers. Bethany is the founder of the online sensation, the be.come project, is a master instructor and entrepreneur with a message known for inclusivity and body-neutrality. Their unique approach to movement awakens clients in profound ways. Meyers’ voice stands apart in the fitness world as a leader in dismantling beauty standards. They are also a champion of the LGBTQ+ community.
Listen to the full episode here:
MY 5 BIGGEST TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE
- Language affects the way we move. Use your words to honor where your body is, connect to how you feel, and choose what serves you best, what is right for your body. Shame and punishment do not yield long term results.
- Body neutrality is respecting our bodies no matters how you feel about it that day.
- Ask yourself why you need to comment on someone else’s body appearance and how often you do it, why you do it, and how it might impact them. You have no idea about what they are going through.
- Gender is more complicated than genitalia: There is the gender that is assigned to you at birth from genitalia, so your body (note that there are as many inner sex people as red hair), there’s your identity (how do you identify) and your social expression of it (how to you dress, present yourself to the world).
- The use of new pronouns needs practice. It’s like learning a new language. It’s not about being perfect but making the effort to attempt to use them. Try reading a book out-loud and changing the pronouns to they/them, or write sentences and read them out loud. If you’re talking and struggle use the person’s first name instead. If you make a mistake, correct and move-on.
QUESTIONS THEY ANSWERED DURING THIS EPISODE
- How can we approach fitness and yoga with a body-neutral way of cueing?
- How do move away from using shame and punishment as motivation? What’s the difference between body positivity and body neutrality for you?
- What has did your time/recovery from ED taught you about your body and influences the way you teach?
- How do we move the society needle on fat-phobia?
- What can we do as individuals?
- You describe yourself as “queer-poly-married-non-binary-they/them” and say that scares you, I’ll make it not. Let’s talk about it. What do we need to know about gender?
- What about gender congruence, choice, and trends?
- Do you have tips to help people use they/them pronouns?
- Anything else you want to add before we finish?
SUBSCRIBE, RATE & REVIEW! DONATE OR BECOME AN EXCLUSIVE MEMBER TODAY.
Thank you so much for listening and being part of our 60th episode! If you enjoy this podcast, please subscribe, rate and review anywhere you listen. As always, I really appreciate your support with this podcast whether it’s through reviews or through Patreon. I have just added 2 new tiers to the premium memberships. As before, with a small donation of $5/month you can get access to more content, exclusive episodes, tutorials, guided meditations. Last month you got a 30 min Hatha Flow. Now you can also have access to some or all the classes we’ve recorded on zoom and continue to record during this shelter-in-place. If you’d like to have access to all this and/or support me in the creation of this podcast, please visit www.patreon.com/onandoffyourmat and become a PREMIUM member on the tier of your choice.
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Bethany C. Meyers, founder of the online sensation, the be.come project, is a master instructor and entrepreneur with a message known for inclusivity and body-neutrality. Their unique approach to movement awakens clients in profound ways. Meyers’ voice stands apart in the fitness world as a leader in dismantling beauty standards. They are also a champion of the LGBTQ+ community.
Please note the be.come project is spelled just like that, all lowercase and the punctuation. https://thebecomeproject.com/
the be.come project is also offering the below during this time:
IF YOU ARE ABLE TO SUPPORT: Click below to purchase one month of be.come at $30 for someone in need (normal price $35). Purchase as many gifts cards as you like. the be.come project will match every single COVID-19 relief purchase to double the impact, while spreading movement and compassion in a time when we need it most.
IF YOU ARE IN NEED: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, tell us about your situation and how a free month of the be.come project will be helpful. Applicants will be put on a waitlist and as gift cards come in, we will distribute on a first come, first serve basis. PLEASE only apply if you are in need. We know this goes without saying but we are trusting you to make the right choice to ensure this goes to the right people.
IF YOU ARE IN BETWEEN: We are offering $5 off your first month. Sign up with the promo code: staysafe.