Do you ever long for a deeper understanding of yourself that leads to transformation? If so, this episode is for you. I sat down with Eva Beronius. Eva is the founder of Self Mastery and Beyond and the highly praised online meditation course Beyond the Mind. Her own journey has included transforming a state of PTSD and anxiety with symptoms like panic attacks, depression and trust-issues into a thriving life and peaceful mind. She has experience with various techniques in trauma therapy and personal growth as well as a spiritual foundation in the Toltec tradition. She is passionate about how we can access change by bypassing the rational mind.
Listen to the full episode here:
MY 5 BIGGEST TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE
- Even considering that our unconscious beliefs about ourselves drive 80% to 90% of our thoughts and emotional reactions, real change is absolutely possible. The very step towards transformation is to release your stress. In a stressed brain, there’s no space for anything else but survival, for fight or flight.
- The cycle starts with a painful emotion that we carry. Then, we create a belief linked with the events that led to the creation of that painful emotion. Eventually, something happens that activates this belief and we latch onto a protective mechanism that has helped us in the past to avoid feeling that emotional pain. We avoid, distract, manage, pretend…
- Our protective mechanism can push us into overly strong reactions and make us project our past experiences onto our present situation. By reliving the same situation or emotional reaction, your mind is trying to solve the painful situation, to create a different outcome so it can get to a resolution. It will be repeated again and again until you move forward and make a different choice in your reaction.
- The first step in self-mastery is self-awareness; the capacity to observe yourself by directing your attention. In the second step, to help you step into the observer, you can journal in the 3rd person to help create some distance to disidentify from the situation and your reaction and gain a more neutral perspective. Step 3 is mapping, dividing your reactions into characters, versions of yourself, or archetypes. Once you have identified those, you can start noticing them throughout your day, how they are layered, structured, and interacting together, and which emotions each character carries, what does their world consist of? What do they believe? That way you can create a new relationship with your emotions, step into your subconscious, and start releasing the emotions and changing your inner world, your programming.
- Find a way to break down your “old house” while building your “new house”. if you only work on building the new parts of yourself, you create a disconnect, shame, rejection of another part of yourself.
QUESTIONS SHE ANSWERED DURING THIS EPISODE
- What was going on in your life for you to want to make a change?
- What is the structure hidden under our reactions?
- What kind of beliefs drives our emotional reactions?
- How do we know if our protective mechanisms are still serving us?
- What are some tools to reflect on our protective mechanism?
- How does the process look like?
- How do we start to move away from suffering, break our cycles?
SUBSCRIBE, RATE & REVIEW! DONATE OR BECOME AN EXCLUSIVE MEMBER TODAY
Thank you so much for listening and being part of our 67th episode! If you enjoy this podcast, please subscribe, rate and review anywhere you listen. As always, I really appreciate your support with this podcast whether it’s through reviews or through Patreon. With even a small donation of $5/month you can get access to more content, exclusive episodes, tutorials, guided meditations. on September 1st, you got an episode on self-care, on what is it, why it’s important and how to practice it. You can also have access to some or all the classes we’ve recorded on zoom and continue to record during this shelter-in-place. If you’d like to have access to all this and/or support me in the creation of this podcast, please visit www.patreon.com/onandoffyourmat and become a PREMIUM member on the tier of your choice.
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Eva Beronius is the founder of Self Mastery and Beyond and the highly praised online meditation course Beyond the Mind. Her own journey has included transforming a state of PTSD and anxiety with symptoms like panic attacks, depression, and trust-issues into a thriving life and peaceful mind. She has experience with various techniques in trauma therapy and personal growth as well as a spiritual foundation in the Toltec tradition. She is passionate about how we can access change by bypassing the rational mind.
Today she is teaching workshops and retreats around the world, hosting online courses, and working with individual clients. She believes one of the most important pieces to healing is connection – with yourself, with others, and with life itself – and her coaching is signified by the presence, non-judgment, compassion, and truth.
Her website : https://selfmasteryandbeyond.com
IG : @evaberonius